Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Yay, crochet!


I want to post a picture, but I don't have time to get the newer ones off my camera. How about a shot of a fabulous embroidered dresser scarf that I found at a thrift store? Bluebirds of happiness. It is the same on both ends.

My mom taught me how to crochet when I was very young. Then I grew older and I didn't need to make doll blankets and little purses, and I started replacing the posters of puppies in my room with posters of Duran Duran and Rick Springfield, and I stopped crocheting. Not that I was any great shakes to begin with, but I knew the rudiments. Then last year, right before Christmas, I decided to join the craze and learn to knit. This I did by using a great computer CD called
Knitting Made Easy by Coats and Clark. My first project was a baby sweater which, suprise surprise, didn't turn out. It was a simple modular design but something went wrong. I had all the measurements correct, but still the sleeves were too narrow. So I gave up knitting as tedious and besides, my fingers were sore. But I knew I wanted to be able to make wearables with yarn, so I decided that I'd better learn again to crochet. In my mind I saw it as a much easier and quicker fiber art. Turns out, I was right! I used Crochet Made Easy and I was turning out granny squares in no time. Yahoo! So now I am going to buy some nice yarn and make a dress from the book Candytots, which I got from my library. And when I see my mom or my aunt (the aunt known for such things) I will maybe get a lesson on crocheting kitchen towel hangers.

No comments: