Sunday, July 30, 2006

Flannery O'Connor

I have discovered I don't like to read stories by Flannery O'Connor. I'd heard about her and thought I ought to read some of her writing, so I checked out a compendium from the library. I got through A Good Man Is Hard To Find and had to stop. Couldn't handle it. Too depressing.

I almost always finish a story book once I start it, but not this one. I had a similar experience when I tried to read The Deep End of the Ocean. I just couldn't.

Flannery put me in a blue funk for several days. Luckily I was able to next immerse myself in Pride and Prejudice, which has a happy ending and even teaches lessons along the way. I started with the A&E DVD and went on from there... As I said before, more on that in another post, when I have time to actually think about what I'm saying.

3 comments:

Brad Shorr said...

She is definitely an acquired taste. But then, so is Chesterton!

Leah said...

I like Flannery O'Connor, but I understand your current distaste. I don't so much like reading her stories as I like having them part of my mental make-up. Like, they're rarely pleasant reading, unlike Pride and Prejudice in which every sentence is a pure joy to read :-), but they're good. They mean stuff, and they stay with you. I don't read her stories back to back. I'll read a short story and spend some time digesting it before I try another one. Usually after a couple days, unexpected meanings begin to emerge. Sometimes I let months pass between stories, but I always come back. :-)

Anyway, sorry so rambly. :-) I don't know anyone in real life that reads Flannery O'Connor, so an opportunity to discuss her online is hard to pass up. :-)

Candlestring said...

I don't know what it is about me and certain stories. When I saw the movie Titanic I had nightmares for weeks. That hardly ever happens to me; I was very surprised. I am normally practical and down-to-earth, but I would actually wake up in a panic and not be able to get back to sleep. And this was after seeing it at home on VHS at least a year after it came out. I can't imagine the wreck I'd have been if I'd seen it in the theater. I don't want to repeat that experience and I could see it happening if I read much more O'Connor...
I think I'll have to stay away from Thomas Merton also, since he was a fan of hers. But I do understand why you might want her stories in your "mental make-up". God willing, you won't experience this stuff first-hand.