Friday, July 28, 2006

Triolets

I'm sorry I did not mention this sooner, perhaps encouraging more entries into this contest. But I will now take the opportunity to say there are some wonderful triolet poems to be read over on My Enchiridion posted June 26, July 22 and 26. My one attempt made the finals but after reading them all I am not sure what Sheila was thinking! I like all the others better than mine, especially the Istanbul/Constantinople "Swing Triolet" and the ones that speak of cheese. Oh, and the one that mentions the enneagram.

One of my nieces has a great signature line on her emails:
Sarchasm - The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I've been on both sides of that abyss. Boy, howdy, have I.

And thank goodness I am not the only one who didn't know how to pronounce triolet. It's tree as in trio. I was thinking more like try as in try to write a poem, oops, I mean as in tricycle or triangle. Of course, I'm the one who couldn't pronounce Penelope and Phinneas either.

Why is it that back when I was pronouncing triolet incorrectly all I could think of was that song that Meg Ryan and her friends are singing at Christmas time in the movie You've Got Mail? "The triolet, the triolet goes dooley, dooley dooley dooley det." In the movie they sing about the violin, and that line is actually the line for the clarinet. Maybe I was thinking triolet rhymes with violet pronounced similarly to clarinet and violin.

The word pedestrian used to give me problems, too. And I like to think I'm literate. What is that line? I just heard it somewhere. Help me out here -
The difference between illiterates of yesteryear and the illiterates of today is that the modern ones can read.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

You know, I think that triolet actually rhymes with violet after all. I know an old and apparently much-printed triolet which uses the triolet-violet rhyme.