Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Smothers Brothers

Do you remember these guys? The first I ever knew of them was early in my childhood. I had told a fib and a couple of my siblings flipped through the record stack and put "Aesop's Fables, The Smothers Brothers' Way" on the turntable. The stories of The Boy Who Cried Wolf and The Dog and the Thief were the first to be played. I can't say I understood all the humor, being only four or five at the time, but I fell in love with the performance. (Animals are lots of fun; I wish that I could be one. If I could be a jellyfish, I think I'd be --- strawberry!) A few years ago I managed to find it on CD and now my own children enjoy it very much. It is as fresh and witty to my ears as it ever was, and the harmonies are still pleasing. I was so thrilled to find it on disk that I ordered a dozen, for my parents and sibs.

It wasn't until I was a teenager that I discovered these guys went way beyond a funny little album for kids. Having been born after their Comedy Hour show went off the air, I hadn't much of a clue that they did other stuff. I guess I was too busy memorizing Bill Cosby routines. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't know about the strong viewpoints the Smobros had, because now I can listen to Aesop's Fables and just enjoy the stories and the music and remember my childhood and not think about politics. I've heard and seen some of their other works, but I don't know any of it by heart like I know Aesop's Fables. "It's better to have gifts than receipts."

No comments: