Thursday, August 24, 2006

Time, how you fly.

Where did the week go?
I have been busy ordering school books. I knew fall was coming but I kept pushing school planning to the back of my mind. I kept thinking, "It's still summer!" and then, WHAM - the public schools started classes on Wednesday. Where did that come from? So I sat down and looked over the CHC catalog and ordered some $400 (gasp!) worth of books just from them. At least that is for three kids, and all of it will be used for more than one kid over the years. I think I'm mostly set with CHC stuff now, except for 8th grade. Not sure yet about high school; will cross that bridge when we come to it.

I need to figure out a routine for our days. The toddler and the pre-schooler are major distractions for the other two kids. But I can't isolate anybody because none of us is especially self-motivated and isolation leads to daydreaming and procrastination for the biggers, and just plain trouble for the littlers. Hmmm. Tried Mother's Rule of Life and it just made me feel awful. I could not follow the time slots and yelled at the kids more rather than less.
Must have more routine, less scheduling. More good habits, less bad. Gotta pray about this one.

Here's some Chesterton that could be applied to my situation, from Orthodoxy:

Catholic doctrine and discipline may be walls; but they are the walls of a playground. Christianity is the only frame which has preserved the pleasure of Paganism. We might fancy some children playing on the flat grassy top of some tall island in the sea. So long as there was a wall round the cliff's edge they could fling themselves into every frantic game and make the place the noisiest of nurseries. But the walls were knocked down, leaving the naked peril of the precipice. They did not fall over; but when their friends returned to them they were all huddled in terror in the centre of the island; and their song had ceased.

I need to find those walls for our school, because I don't want to spend all year huddled in the center of our home island, which I think is what we did last year. Lightbulb there!

No comments: