Thursday, September 28, 2006

Another Happy Birthday

My second son is eight years old today. He was born at 4:AM and was my easiest delivery, which has turned out to be a foreshadowing of his personality. He is a gentle soul, loved by all.

We started the day with a requested meal of pancakes, followed by frosted cinnamon rolls. Yesterday I had told the kids it was going to be a regular school day today, but since they pulled together to get extra schoolwork done yesterday afternoon, I surprised them by giving them the day off. The original plans for the day included mini-golf and the zoo, but it turns out mini-golf is only open on weekends now, and Flowergirl has a slight fever and took a long nap, so we called off the trip to the zoo . It's windy anyway. Noon saw the opening of the gift from Eldest Son, which was a Gameboy game, so out came the timers and the hand-helds and they only come up for air when they hear the BEEPBEEPBEEP. They they goof around for 30 min and set the timers again for another turn looking at the tiny screens. We'll try for the zoo on Sunday and now I can take the time to bake a nice layer cake instead of just a 9x11 pan. The request is chocolate, with chocolate frosting. Yum. Need butter for the frosting though. Better call Mr. Malaprop and see if he's willing to stop at the corner market on his way home from work.

Have I ever told you we have more than one verse for the Birthday Song in my family? I don't know where it came from, but ever since I can remember we've sung three verses. The first is the one everyone knows, the second is the same tune with "May your wishes come true" instead of "Happy birthday to you" except for the last line which is still "Happy birthday to you". Then, there's a little variation, the tune of which I can't explain:
Stand up, stand up, stand up and tell us
How old you are.
Stand up, stand up, stand up and tell us
Your age.
(Then people say "Speech!" and the birthday person is obligated to get up and say something.)

I love this tradition.

If it is your birthday today, Happy Birthday! If it isn't - a Very Merry Unbirthday to you.

No comments: