Monday, November 20, 2006

Hot Fudge Cake

This is an easy cake with no eggs, which is a good thing to know if you happen to be out of eggs or are allergic or if you just want to let your kids lick the mixing things with no worries. No one actually asked for the recipe (I alluded to it in a previous post), but I made this cake tonight (even though we have plenty of eggs on hand), and since it is a family favorite and extremely easy I thought I ought to share:

Hot Fudge Cake

1c flour
3/4c sugar
1/4tsp salt
1tsp baking powder
1/2c milk
6Tbs cocoa powder, divided
1c brown sugar
1tsp vanilla
1 and 3/4c hot water

Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and 2Tbs of the cocoa powder. Blend in the milk and vanilla and mix until smooth. The batter will be fairly thick. Spread the batter evenly in a 9x9 baking pan. In a separate bowl combine the remaining 4T cocoa powder with the brown sugar and sprinkle this over the batter. Pour the hot water over all and DO NOT MIX. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes.

This makes a "magic" cake that rises to the top with a thick chocolate sauce underneath. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, or with cream or milk in a bowl. I have been known to cut back on the sugar a bit with no problem, especially when it comes to the brown sugar topping - I don't pack the brown sugar when I measure it. I actually think it tastes better if it isn't quite as sweet as the recipe calls for.

No comments: