Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Idea the Third

It has been a long day, so please forgive any incoherent remarks herein. And just to let you know, I am always open to having my spelling or grammar corrected if you feel so inclined. I am a red pen girl myself, and don't mind constructive criticism a bit if it is for a glaring mistake or even an interesting tidbit. For example, did you know that the word seldomly is rather uncommon? I used it in a recent post, but apparently most people just say seldom. I couldn't actually find out if seldomly is incorrect or simply seldomly used ;) (Lolly, lolly, lolly - get your adverbs here...) One thing about blogging is you can get away with sentence structure and vocabulary that you couldn't use normally if you were writing oh, say, a newspaper report. To me, blogging is for writing how you speak, and if that includes ums and ahs and ers and sentence fragments, so be it. No red pen on those, right?


Today's activity idea is short because I am tired. Sorry about that, but that's how it is.

Gingerbread houses. These are often time consuming and potentially expensive, considering all those different kinds of candy, with results not guaranteed. Not to mention the fact that some kids don't even like gingerbread and will just pick the candy off when you're not looking. But make the houses in miniature with graham crackers and they are quick and fun and can be made as a single project or by the dozen. This year I am planning to invite some friends over for a party to make these together in abig group. Each family can bring one kind of candy to share and their own crackers, and I will supply the frosting and the drinks.

Here are two links to get you started:

Mini-Houses and Graham Cracker Houses

The first link is for a house made from individual sections of graham cracker, while the second link is for larger houses made from whole crackers. I can see potential here for making little houses from other square crackers or cookies.

As Blogger has already eaten my post once, I am going to go ahead and publish this before it happens again. Tomorrow I will try for some pictures. Sorry to make you wait. We took some nice ones of our origami.

No comments: