Monday, June 11, 2007

Non-traveling blues

I was really looking forward to loading up the 'burban and hitting the road this week to attend the Chesterton Conference in St. Paul, MN. The kids and I have made the trek to MN before, to attend the Catholic Home Ed. Conference. We take our time and visit relatives along the way and go to zoos and butterfly houses and living history and generally have a grand time. Unfortunately for me, things did not work out. Two of my brothers planned a golf weekend for family in Denver and most of my otherwise willing babysitters are all going to Colorado to stick the links.* Imagine people wanting to golf rather than babysit. Ok, not a stretch. On the bright side, I am "saving" quite a bit of money by staying home and will use some of it to add to my home library. There's a nice new edition of The Man Who Was Thursday and I can also buy CDs of the conference talks. I have the CDs from last year and really enjoy them. To me half the people giving the talks are like celebrities and I really wanted to see and possibly meet them in person. I see them on TV, I read their magazine articles, I read their blogs. I have even corresponded with some of them. And of course, I wanted to taste some of the beer. But you know, Nancy probably won't be there, so I'm in good company - or not, as it were.

* This means to go golfing. I just made up the phrase "stick the links" because I like the way it sounds. I'll try it in conversation sometime and let you know if it works out.

On a nonrelated note, have you ever heard of a flying novena? It's a Mother Teresa thing.
Here is the Memorare:

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.
Amen.



1 comment:

m!les said...

I had never heard of a flying novena. I learn something new every day.