Monday, July 16, 2007

Homemade Ice Cream

I grew up with a love of ice cream inherited in my genetic code from my father's side. At least, that's what I've been told. My mother and one of her sisters (who married Dad's brother) have insisted it is not from them or their parents. This is serious ice cream love I'm talking about. It means having ice cream every day if you can, and never turning it down when offered if you can help it. It does not mean being a connoisseur, but simply a consumer. Not that you can't taste the difference between great and so-so, but even mediocre ice cream will win over no ice cream at all. Luckily, those of us who have inherited our body types from my dad's side do not gain weight the same way those with my mom's genes do. At least, that is my guess or all my dad's family would be rather fat, and they're not.

There is a food circular magazine that comes once a month in our newspaper called Relish. Last week's had homemade ice cream recipes in it. I tried the chocolate malt and the lemon sherbet. Both were delicious made in our Donvier ice cream maker. The chocolate malt was my favorite, though a bit grainy from the malt powder. The Donvier is 13 years old, it was a gift, and it still works great. I did pack it away for awhile because for a disorganized person like me it can be a pain to wash and then to remember to put it in the freezer at least a day before you plan to make your ice cream. But it is a breeze to actually use. It is a hand-crank model, but that simply means giving the thing a once or twice around stir every three minutes or so. The web site says you'll never buy commercial ice cream again. I wouldn't go that far, but it has definitely spoiled me from buying that vanilla flavored ice milk in the big buckets that we had growing up. Now when I buy ice cream it's usually Breyer's All Natural. I am considering finding another brand because I really hate their current line of TV commercials. They all insinuate that women would cheat on their husbands if the other guy was a pint of ice cream. The slogan has something to do with being "guilt free" because the ice cream has fewer calories. Whatever. Try these recipes instead:


LEMON SHERBET
Serve with fresh raspberries or blackberries and crunchy ginger cookies.
Ingredients
1 (.25-ounce) packet unflavored gelatin ½ cup cold water 3 cups whole milk, divided 1 cup sugar ¼ teaspoon salt ¾ cup fresh lemon juice 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions
1. Sprinkle gelatin over water in small bowl; set aside 5 minutes to soften. 2. Warm 1 1⁄2 cups milk in medium saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles form around the edge. Stir in sugar and salt; remove from heat. Stir in gelatin mixture. Cool 5 minutes. 3. Pour milk mixture into a blender or food processor. Add remaining milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla (mixture will look curdled); blend or process until smooth. 4. Pour into large container, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Pour mixture into the canister of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Serves 8.

CHOCOLATE MALT
Look for jars of malted milk powder next to the Ovaltine or ice cream cone section in your local supermarket. Ingredients
2 cups half-and-half 1 cup sugar ¾ cup malted milk powder ¼ cup cocoa powder 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped 2 eggs, whisked 1 cup heavy or whipping cream 1 tablespoon vanilla extract ¼ teaspoon salt Instructions
1. Whisk half-and-half, sugar, malted milk powder, cocoa powder and chopped chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. 2. Whisk half the cocoa mixture into eggs. Whisk this mixture back into remaining cocoa mixture. 3. Reduce heat to very low. Whisk constantly until mixture thickens slightly and coats back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in cream, vanilla and salt. 4. Pour into large container, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Pour mixture into the canister of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Serves 12.
Recipes by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough, "Relish a Classic Dish," July 2007.

And if you don't have an ice cream maker, new or old, try using a cup of one of these delicious recipes in a double zipper bag ice cream maker. You put the mix in a small bag, and the small bag in a larger bag with ice and salt. Sounds cold, but fun, and I hear it really works though it takes awhile.

2 comments:

Candlestring said...

I just want to note that I don't really eat ice cream every single day. But I want to.

m!les said...

My mom (who shares no genes with either of your parents' familes) loves ice cream, too. We've always had a big gallon vanilla, to which chocolate (Qwik) powder, M&Ms, and syrup can be added (with a little milk). I don't know if I would want to eat ice cream everyday, but it is a joy.