Thursday, August 16, 2007

I cheated


Besides cucumbers, of which we recently had many given to us, tonight for supper we had pizza. As I was not about to turn on my oven in this weather, we called Domino's. It was good. But it was also gone before I thought to take a pic. Who needs a picture of Domino's pizza anyway? But in cooler weather I make homemade pizza. We have a Pampered Chef pizza stone that was given to us as a wedding gift and we use it almost every week, when I feel like turning on the oven to 425F that is. During the summer that is not so much.

Here is my recipe for pizza dough:
Warm 1c water in the micro for about 1 min. You want it warm but not hot.
Pour it in a medium bowl and add 1 tsp sugar, and then add 2 tsp dry yeast.
Let the yeast proof for a minute or two. If you don't see anything happening, either your water was too hot or your yeast was dead before you started. Try again.
Then add 2 and 1/2 cups flour, 2 Tbs oil, and 1 tsp salt.
Stir with a wooden spoon about 25 times and let rest 5 min.
Viola, pizza dough.

Roll it out on a well-floured or cornmeal coated pizza stone, or use a cookie sheet. You can oil the pan if you'd rather, the point is to keep it from sticking.
Put favorite toppings on it and bake it at the aforementioned 425F for 15-20 min.
Our favorite toppings are an 8 oz can of tomato sauce, a generous sprinkling of dried Italian herbs, some chopped up ham and lots of shredded cheddar cheese. You can also use spaghetti sauce.

1 comment:

m!les said...

That sounds like a good recipe. I might have to try it sometime.