Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Meal planning


I am struggling with getting supper on the table every night. And it isn't just because some days it's hard to find the table. Now that I've stopped the newspaper the table is much easier to find, though I do miss the comics and daily crossword.
I've tried the Saving Dinner cookbooks, and they work well if I could just stick with them. But of course I don't. I would be lost without my microwave and the ability to thaw things at the last minute, which I hate to do but not enough apparently, to stop doing it. I did make the pleasant discovery that the individually frozen chicken breasts I purchase at Costco actually do not have to be thawed before you cook them. It has directions right on the package, of all places.

After 13 years of marriage I do have a stock list of quick and easy menus that I can pull out of the cobwebs of my brain. But to tell the truth I am rather tired of most of these ol' reliables.
So how do you decide what to cook for supper? Or do you call it dinner where you live? Being from SD this was an issue. Everyone knew what breakfast was, but the noon meal was dinner if you lived in a rural area and lunch if you were a city kid. Then the evening meal was supper or lunch on the farm, but dinner in town. I always thought it had more to do with the size of the meal than with the timing. Bigger meals were dinner. On a farm dinner is often at noon because the farmers have to have that sustanance to be able to work through the rest of the day. Then in the evenings they would have a smaller lunch and play cards if they weren't too tired and fall into bed.

In the next few days I'll share some recipes, talk about my cookbooks, and hopefully hear ideas from some of you.

3 comments:

Ali said...

Meal planning - the bane of my life. I like to cook, but I get so stuck in a rut with my shopping and cooking sometimes. I try to cook once a week at least from a recipe. I find having to look one up, forces me to make something other than my in the head repertoire.

Look forward to some yum ideas from you!

m!les said...

Holli and I get a chance to eat supper together almost every night (I do call it "supper", unless I'm going to a restaurant, then I call it "dinner"). Our planning usually consists of "What do you want to do for supper?' "I don't know. What do you feel like?" "I don't know. What do you NOT feel like?"

That goes on for hours, and we never end up eating anything.

dottycookie said...

I try to be good and plan a week's worth of meals before I go shopping to try to minimise the cries of "There's nothing to eat in this house!" But I am sometimes foiled by the yogurt and cheese eating monsters I share my house with.

Just to add to the confusion, my husband calls the evening meal "supper" and I call it "tea". But then we have afternoon tea at the weekends. Argh, I don't think I have helped matters there!