Saturday, August 18, 2007

Nothing like fresh corn*


(*Actually, this is kind of a joke. The picture above was taken a week after I wrote this post, so it isn't fresh. Nothing even close to fresh. You can tell by those dented kernels on the tip. We husked a dozen and forgot the other dozen in a sack in the garage. It maybe could've lasted had it been in the fridge. It was terrible a week old, but great the day we bought it, which is what the original post is about. You see, I had this post in my drafts file waiting for a picture...)

This was $3/dozen and I bought it from a guy who had the bed of his small pick-up truck brimfull of ears of corn. I should've gotten a picture of that. I think his license plate says ROCK HND. (Montana is THE land of vanity plates.) He was set up on the corner of a busy street just a few blocks away. Peaches and cream variety, picked this morning. I hate the way cob corn gets in my teeth, but this stuff was good enough to be worth it.
Mr. Malaprop also made steamburgers aka sloppy joes. (Someone I know named Joe takes offense to calling them that.)


On the side we had snap peas, and cucumbers with Miracle Whip, vinegar and sugar. Is that cucumber preparation a Great Plains thing?

Steamburgers

1 lb ground beef
1 small onion
1 tsp vinegar
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/2 c catsup
1/2 c water
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp prepared mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Brown the ground beef with the minced onion. Boil the other ingredients in a saucepan. Combine and simmer for 30 min. Serve on hamburger buns. This recipe is from my aunt, M!les' grandmother.

The way Mr. Malaprop made this tonight was different. Our chili powder was no good so he left it out. Threw it out, actually. He used Lawrey's salt to season the beef and used garlic powder instead of garlic salt. He also left out the Worcestershire altogether because it is made with anchovies and Frodo is allergic to fish. It wasn't left to simmer like the recipe instructs because we were all too hungry to wait. Besides, the corn was done.
Everything tasted great.

1 comment:

m!les said...

I've also heard them called "BBQs" (which is what my family calls them) and "taverns".