Sunday, August 26, 2007

Weekend food

My brother and his son came over yesterday and the boy stayed here while the dad made a short trip (2 hours) for work. When the dad returned we ordered pizza - ham on one, chicken on the other. Also had breadsticks and onion rings. I hope the pizza sauce and the onions count as vegetables, because that was it. Thank goodness for multivitamins to fill in the (rather large) gaps in our diet. We do eat a lot of fruit and whole grains, but not anything you could set your watch to. You know what I mean.

Today was a hodge-podge for food. In the winter I tend to be more organized about meals, but when the weather is hot, who wants to spend all that time in the kitchen? Once again Mr. Malaprop and I did a "divide and conquer" when it came to going to mass with the kids. He went early with Frodo and Merry, and I went later with Elle. Pippen and Flowergirl have been staying home, being as young as they are. Pippen will start Sunday school coming up here soon, and then he'll go to church regularly. Flowergirl is impossible in the pew and last time I left her in the nursery they had to come and get me from mass because she was just on the floor crying the whole time. She never did that before but I don't want to try again for awhile. That was the weekend the boys and Daddy were camping; maybe she was having abandonment issues. Anyway, while I was at the later mass, Mr. M had come back from the early mass and so did his infamous potato-egg-cheese fry up and this time also cooked some homemade sausage we got from his brother. Not sure what kind it was and I don't really want to know. Tasted good and was thoroughly cooked so I remain blissfully ignorant. The rest of the day's meals were breakfast cereal or leftovers.
DId I mention that I made Garlic Lime Chicken and mashed potatoes last week? That is a recipe from Leanne Ely and I bet you can find it if you Google it. Sorry but I'm still on Safari so my link-thingy isn't available. I kinda do my own thing with the lime sauce so if you want to know what that is just leave a comment and I'll post my version in the future.

Potato-egg-cheese Fry Up

Put some oil in your biggest frying pan. Heat.
Cube several potatoes and start them frying.
If you have small red potatoes, don't even bother peeling them. Do wash them first.
Idahos need peeling.
Patience! Don't turn them too soon, or they will just get all mushy.
You want them to get that nice brown crust, so experiment with how hot you need your pan to cook the potatoes to the perfect brown crispness without that bad blackness.
When the potatoes are finished, crack several eggs right into the pan with them and scramble the whole thing together.
When the eggs are cooked, top with as much shredded cheese as you like, or as much as you can get away with before your wife says, "Got enough cheese there, hon?" or "How about a few potatoes with your cheese, hon."
Season the whole thing with Lawrey's salt, the man's favorite default seasoning of choice.
Serve with sausage and/or pancakes and/or salsa and/or etc.
Be sure you know where your Tums are.
Don't blame me.

2 comments:

m!les said...

On Sunday I had chicken wings. They were delicious, and probably extremely unhealthy.

dottycookie said...

Oh my goodness, that does sound tasty. I used to make something that started the same way with potatoes and onions but ended up adding tomatoes and olives. I think it was called Potatoes Nicoise or something.

I'm going to have to look it up now!