Thursday, September 06, 2007

Confusion and Delay

I love that phrase. Strange, I know, but because it comes from the Thomas the Tank Engine stories it will always remind me of my boys when they were very young. I always hear in my mind the voice of either Alec Baldwin or George Carlin or Ringo Starr. Aren't those hilarious people to have hired to narrate a series of children's videos? But that is not the point. The point is my blog, and what to do with it.

I like having a blog, I really do. Really. But right now I'm not sure what I'm doing. I feel all unfocused and rambly lately, and to tell the truth, as I click around the blogosphere I'm not finding a whole lot of freshness out there. New topics are few and far between, and it doesn't seem to be anyone's fault, it's just that way. Am I just not seeing things in the right light? Do I need polarized lenses? It reminds me of the reason I quit subscribing to Martha Stewart Living. After awhile I noticed the magazine was repeating ideas from previous issues. Not just the "top ten best ideas" that they ran every year or so, but ideas and recipes that they were trying to sell as fresh just because they took some new photos. I'd give you an example but in a fit of purging I left all my back issues behind during our last move. (I do regret that now. Have you seen the price of some of those on eBay? What was I thinking? I'll tell you. I was thinking I could just find all those instructions for crafts and etc. on the MSL website, and why haul all that weight around yet again. That was before I discovered what abysmal organization that website has, or had. I don't know if it's still that way.) Anyhow, if it's the ideas I need I could just resubscribe now and it'll still be the same stuff, I bet.



So back to the blog thing. Maybe it's just the time of year. I'm trying to do a lot of things at once and I'm afraid I'm not doing any of it very well. I hate that. Perfectionism is a curse. Not that I do anything perfectly - but I want to! I have so many things on my mental to-do list that there's hardly room in my head for anything else. I tried writing some of it down but the length of the column depressed me so much I had to quit. I can't write it *all* down, can I? Did you ever see that movie with Mel Gibson where he gets hit by lightning and gets the gift of being able to hear what women are thinking? When he discovers this new talent he ends up in a department store and is simply overwhelmed by all the thoughts that cross women's minds. (What Women Want, with Helen Hunt.) I'm not usually overboard like that, but lately...it's rather paralyzing.

Well, I'll snap out of it. Things will start falling into place and I'm confindent this divergence will become a confluence. It always does. But until that undetermined time, who knows what you may find here at Boogers Don't Bounce. Perhaps drivel, perhaps genius. But that's the way it has always been, hasn't it.

I'm signing out for a few days. I need to get away from the computer and get this house back in order. Literally and figuratively.
I plan to be back on Monday. Thanks, Friends.
TTFN

3 comments:

Ali said...

I was feeling much the same way last month. But the change in season has found me feeling more perky and hopefully blogland will go the same way.

Have a refreshing break.

dottycookie said...

I can sympathise. It's easy to get so bogged down in what needs to be done that you can't actually do anything.

On a cheerier note, I have your Fridayprize gift packed up and ready to go, but our work mail service apparently can't send personal mail internationally. So I'll need to nip to the village post office first thing tomorrow. Bother. I was so pleased with myself for actually hitting the deadline ... But then airmail is slow it'll probably take a month to get there anyway!

m!les said...

I use a Getting Things Done application called iGTD on my Mac to help me organize those things. I can give items a context (which I use as an action: filming, writing, paying, etc.), and a project (Newsbleep 101, My Wedding, etc.). I'm not sure how helpful that kind of thing is, but I love it.

http://bargiel.home.pl/iGTD/