Thursday, September 20, 2007

Short stories

I used to read a lot of short stories. O. Henry and the like. I remember the basis of one particular story, but I can't remember the title. The plot had something to do with a man who built a chair for a woman and somehow hid inside the chair. He got himself delivered to her house and when she sat in the chair it was like she was sitting on his lap. ??? It was creepy, but fascinating. I'd like to read it again but I can't find it, having no idea of the title or author. I think this was something one of my teachers assigned us in high school. (Mrs. Reed, if you're out there, I mean you!) Does anyone know this story? Saki, maybe? I seem to remember it as being a Japanese or perhaps Indian story.

What is your favorite short story? Mine is O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi".

1 comment:

m!les said...

I'm not sure what my favorite short story is. I think I would say something by Poe, though I'm not entirely sure if they are short stories or novellas or novels. I'll have to think on this.