Monday, September 17, 2007

Sort-of Tagged

Domesticali (link in title - how do I get it to do those three dots so it shows that the title is a link to somewhere else? Anyway.) did a meme, and tagged, among others, anyone she's ever read, so that is me. Apparently one of her 283! Since I've never done a meme I thought I'd try this one since it isn't too long or complicated.



1. Do you promote your blog?

No. I've mentioned it in conversations occasionally, but I don't promote it. Sometimes I do refer to it in comments on other people's blogs, but only when I really think the other blogger might care. I mostly hate it when people do that "go check out my post on this topic" kind of thing when commenting. I'm not sure why. Why? Is it begging? Is is unfair coat-tail riding? The last time I did it was when I gave Wee Wonderfuls the link to a picture of Flowergirl that showed her long hair because her new baby has hair like Flowergirl did as an infant. Her post was about how her Phoebe's hair might look later and so I thought she'd like to see Flowergirl's photo.

2. How often do you check hits?

Never. I do not have a counter or tracker or anything on my blog at all, but I should because I'm very curious. But this is one of those technical things that I'm not sure I could upload or install or whatever it's called. See? I don't even know what I'm talking about.

3. Do you stick to one topic?

No, and I think that is part of my problem lately. I post on all kinds of whatever; just life. What's that Chesterton quote? Something about everything and everything else. ?

I think I might move to typepad for my craft blog and keep this one for other stuff, but I'm not sure if that would work. It's just the temptation of starting with a clean slate. (Like box cleaning - ever done that? Cleaned your desk by shoving the mess into a box to hide in a closet to deal with later?) My other idea is to come up with some kind of schedule for myself like Menu Mondays, Photo Fridays, etc. Anyone have thoughts on that? I really think I could do a great job at blogging if I was more organized. Is that fantasy? Am I asking too many questions? Huh?


4. Who knows that you have a blog?

People have found me mostly from comments I leave on other blogs. But in my "real life"? Two cousins and a sister read. A few others know, but never comment. My husband knows - I don't think he reads it. My kids know. You know.

5. How many blogs do you read?

I have 67 blogs in my Bloglines. I follow links all the time, but they don't all make it to my favorites list.


6. Are you a fast reader?

I'm fast, but I follow so many link/rabbit trails that it still takes me forever. Also I don't know what to do with all the great ideas for projects that I learn about, and that slows me down. I am not a fast writer. I tend to edit too much while I write. I think I could break myself of this habit if I tried, but I kind of like to do it this way so I don't bother.

7. Do you customise your blog or do anything technical?

I don't do anything that takes any higher knowledge of templates, etc. because I don't know how to. I did manage the Flickr badge all by myself, but that's the most difficult so far. I hope to learn someday how to make a cool header. I think I'm capable of learning, I just haven't yet.

8. Do you blog anonymously?

Yes. To the world at large I am anonymous so that I feel like I can talk about where I live and shop and all that without worrying so much. I don't know if I like being unknown. (My relatives naturally know me.) This is one of the decisions I have to make - should I use my real name? Should I show my kids? I'm chicken. In real life in the past I have had stalker-like problems, and it is not pleasant. Having five kids to protect makes me want to just stay my obscure little self. And yet - if I read your blog and feel like I know you and you feel trustworthy to me, I will tell you my info in an email if you care. Does it make a difference? It does. I feel closer to bloggers who use their real names.

9. To what extent do you censor yourself?

Are you kidding? All.The.Time. I can have a very sarcastic, biting way about me. I appreciate cleverness and being clever does not usually equate with being nice. I try to bite my tongue, but at times I can be very smug. It's a pride/vanity thing and I fight it constantly. Plus, crow doesn't taste so nice and I have to eat it quite enough as it is, thank you.


10. The best thing about blogging?

Talking to people at all times of the day or night. Being able to use the trivia in my brain for something useful, occasionally.

I tag: M!les, Nancy Brown, Big Bucket Girl, Dotty Cookie (Hotlinks to be added tomorrow, or just click the ones in the sidebar on the left there.) But hey, if you're tagged and you've already done this one or you don't want to do it - no worries! Just don't. It's fine by me.

3 comments:

Ali said...

Hooray! You joined in. My tracker is from Sitemeter (www.sitemeter.com) and was a piece of cake to get working.

Mind you, I'm not sure I should be encouraging you to get one, because I swear they breed obsessive and competitive behaviour!

dottycookie said...

Eeeep! You mean I have to think about what I'm doing rather than just do it? OK, though it might take me a day or two ...

m!les said...

Having been tagged, I fully intend on promoting this meme.