Monday, October 22, 2007

Where does the money go?

A lot of people can say that their money just seems to evaporate. With five kids to feed, most of ours seems to go toward the grocery bill. Well, today I spent two hours in the emergency room with Flowergirl. She swallowed a quarter. I thought it was maybe a penny, but the x-ray showed something much larger. She has never been in the habit of putting small things in her mouth so I was shocked when she came to me just before lunch, pointed to the roof of her mouth and said, "Coin stuck."
So not only did the 25 cents vanish from sight, but it will cost a lot more than that only to have been told "it'll all come out in the end".
Ah, life with kids. Nothing this exciting has happened since Pippen stuck a bean up his nose. That was scary, too, but i was able to help him get that out at home. The first two didn't do stuff like this. I wonder what Elle has in store?

I'm going to make myself a nice cuppa. I'm still stressed. And grateful - I mean
Thank God she didn't choke on it.

And I probably will even get my quarter back - if I want it...
Actually, I think it was Pippen's from his state collection.

4 comments:

Lil D said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment!

So sorry to hear about the ER trip. My friend had to actually watch to see if the penny her kid swallowed came out - plus get a second x-ray a few weeks later - as the alloy pennies are made of can cause problems if they sit in the digestive tract (or something like that), so I guess it's better that she raided his quarter collection... That probably doesn't make you feel much better, does it? Sorry.

dottycookie said...

Oh, poor baby - and poor you for having to deal with it! I hope it all is OK soon, and not too traumatic as it does make its reappearance ...

Hugs for you both,

Val

Nancy C. Brown said...

Well, I'm sorry you had to go through it, but it does make a good story, doesn't it?

The worst mine did was put a pea up her nose. Too high for me to get out, though, it didn't require emergency care.

Our neighbor's child swallowed a Chimpy's token, larger than a quarter, and still the remedy was, wait, it will come out. That was a cool x-ray to see!

m!les said...

I was watching a vidcast recently where swallowing coins was the topic for part of it. They suggested using the pinch and sift method to determine that the coin has made it's way out. I won't tell you what they pinch and sift, as this is a family blog.