Friday, December 21, 2007

The goose is getting fat...

...please to put a penny in an old man's hat.

Wow. It's been awhile.
I have been busier than I thought I would be this month. I had everything calm and under control and was plodding along at a steady pace and then - croup. The three youngest. Bark, bark, bark. Vaporizers, pillows, lots of couch time, lots of tv, lots of pacing the floor in the dark with a baby who can't get comfortable and can't nurse because she can't breathe through her nose.

And then, wellness! There's still the odd runny nose here and there, but we are past the contagious part. So what do I do to celebrate? Plan a party, of course. Yesterday we had here in our home about 25 extra kids and six moms and lots of royal icing and graham crackers and CANDY. Whew. What a good time. And what creativity! Not just houses but little shrines and many, many nativity scenes. The party didn't end until 4pm so I had to take pictures with the flash, but still. I think it is safe to say a good time was had by all.

The highlight of my afternoon? A little "gift" from my friend J's daughter, R. She stood before me during a hard-won moment of (relative) calm and recited Chesterton's poem A Christmas Carol:

The Christ-child lay on Mary’s lap,
His hair was like a light.
(O weary, weary were the world,
But here is all aright.)

The Christ-child lay on Mary’s breast
His hair was like a star.
(O stern and cunning are the kings,
But here the true hearts are.)

The Christ-child lay on Mary’s heart,
His hair was like a fire.
(O weary, weary is the world,
But here the world’s desire.)

The Christ-child stood on Mary’s knee,
His hair was like a crown,
And all the flowers looked up at Him,
And all the stars looked down.


Now I am off to finally wrap a few gifts for under the tree, and maybe get a few finished that I'm still making, or planning to make!

I hope your Christmas preparations are coming together, with a nicely tied bow on top.
Enjoy these last few days of Advent, which means "to come to"; the Christ Child is coming to us.

1 comment:

Nancy C. Brown said...

What a wonderful gift, I LOVE that poem of Chesterton's! How old was the child who recited? What a great and beautiful thing. I am glad you are all over the croup and had a good party. Wish we could have been there!