Thursday, February 07, 2008

Peg Bracken

(*Edited to change Hillary to Hilary. (S)he's a man! Sheesh.)

I just read a really funny post over on Notes to Self about Hints from Heloise. Kyran quotes some vintage hints and then adds her astute observations on the validity of said hints.

It reminded me of one of my favorite authors, Peg Bracken. I thought for sure I'd blogged about her before, but a quick search did not show her name in any of my previous posts.

I have three of her books: The I Hate to Cook Book, The Appendix to The I Hate to Cook Book, and I Try to Behave Myself. Next I hope to find her I Hate to Housekeep Book (the others were all thrift store finds).

The reason I purchased The I Hate to Cook Book, when I actually like to cook, is because it has illustrations by Hilary Knight. I simply cannot pass up his work when I find it, except for Eloise. Funny, since he is most famous for Eloise, but I don't own any of those.

Anywhoo... this is not about Hilary Knight, but about Peg Bracken. You can get a good idea about her writing from her chapter titles:

Chapter 2 Leftovers, or Every Family Needs a Dog
Chapter 5 Potluck Suppers, or How to Bring the Water for the Lemonade
Chapter 9 Desserts, or People Are Too Fat Anyway


And, to top it off I found out she was still giving interviews in '03. Unfortunately, she died last October. And to think I could've sent her a fan letter. Well, maybe not.

“I think women can have it all but not all at once,” she says.

I agree with that to a point. I've heard it said before. In fact, I said a variation of it myself just a few days ago. I'm not sure exactly what people mean when they say "it all". She was on her third husband, so...?

What does "it all" mean to you?

1 comment:

m!les said...

"It all" is a compelling couple of words. I think I sometimes suffer from my eyes being bigger than my stomach, as far as "dreams" go. But I had never heard that quote before. I'm far too young to pretend I understand the least about the differences or roles of men and women. And who knows what is a biologically defined role and what is a culturally defined role?

However, whatever the truth is behind the roles of men and women, I know a lot of "guys" who should never set hands on the Note To Self book. For their significant others' sakes.