Monday, March 10, 2008

My traditional Lenten meal

My aunt makes this stuff called "Black Soup". My mom used to make it, too, but it has been years since I've had it. What's in it? I can't remember exactly, but I think it has noodles and dried fruit. (It is not the icky stuff with animal by-products in it that you see when you google for a recipe for Black Soup.) I remember not liking it as a child (imagine that) but I couldn't tell you if I like it now that my tastes have matured. Of course, I use the word "matured" rather loosely here.

Some people will name fishsticks, some people Hot Cross Buns, some say eggs or mac'n'cheese, but when I think of traditional Lenten food, this is what comes to mind:

I haven't had this for years, so when I found myself alone and about town at lunchtime last week, it was a Shamrock Shake and Filet-O-Fish nostalgia meal for me. It was pretty good, but why I feel like it is traditional is beyond me.

8 comments:

Candlestring said...

I forgot to mention Tuna Noodle Casserole. How could I skip that one?

m!les said...

I think of KofC fish fry and cheese pizza as my traditional lenten meals. Black Soup sounds interesting...

dottycookie said...

I hardly dare ask - what is a Shamrock shake? We only get basic flavours here (though to be honest it's about 3 years since I last bought one so I could be wrong).

Candlestring said...

A Shamrock shake is a shake that is colored green and given a minty sort of flavor in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Although I haven't seen any mention of St. Patrick by McDonald's in several years, they still have the shakes available every March. The taste is similar to mint chocolate chip ice cream, without the chips.

Anonymous said...

Hey, did that aunt give you a recipe book with the Black Soup recipe? I'm guessing not. I'll get on it. I didn't like it as a kid and still don't. No noodles, dumplings. That was the only part I remember liking.

Rachel said...

That's awesome! LOL. I just love that it felt traditional but you didn't know why.

Being a convert, the celebration of Lent has definitely been interesting. At least, finally, after 4 years, I remember it's Friday when I wake up. Nothing worse than just having fed everyone hot dogs off the grill to realize you screwed up Lent ...again. This year, we have all been good. No forgetting.

I came home from a Church thing last Friday to Cap'n D's Fish and Chips that my DH had brought home. He said he was going to do it again. So, someday my kids, when grown, will pass by there and go "Remember Friday's in Lent and Cap'n D's?" :-)

I do want that Shamrock shake tho', looks yummy. I have yet to see one in Atlanta.

Candlestring said...

Annon. - No, I didn't ask for one of those cookbooks, but I meant to. Also need the recipe for caramels, Klondike, and the other things she always talks about.

Rachel - No Shamrock Shakes? I'm very sorry to hear that! It wasn't on the menu where I went; I had to ask about it. But Cap'n D's sounds good, too.

Leonie said...

Oh, I had a Fillet O Fish last Friday ( but no fries or shake! lol!)